Wildcats winning streak ends against Cal State East Bay

a7ca7bb6-401f-4486-81cf-d4b8d747b15a.jpg
Chico State's Hannah Womack shoots over San Francisco State's guard Jasmine Flanagan on Jan. 14. Photo credit: Catalina Friz

The Chico State women’s basketball team failed to extend its winning streak to three on Friday, losing to Cal State East Bay with a final score of 75-56.

Cal State East Bay brought the offensive pressure from the start, jumping out to a 9-1 lead within the first three minutes of the game.

Chico State’s senior guard Annie Ward brought the ‘Cats back within three points, converting on a layup and a 3-pointer, bringing the score to 9-6.

Ward on the night shot an impressive 4-6 behind the 3-point line and ended the night with a season high of 18 points.

Cal State East Bay would not be rattled after a 5-point run by the Wildcats. The Pioneers answered quickly with a run of their own, bringing the score to 13-6.

The ‘Cats almost got their first lead of the game in the middle of the first half bringing the score to within one.

The first half was packed with minor momentum swings for both teams, but the Pioneers never relinquished the lead. The first half ended with Cal State East Bay leading 33-23.

The second half was all Cal State East Bay constantly staying ahead by 10 points. At one point, it looked as if Chico State was breaking through with the help of Ward, who converted on consecutive 3-pointers.

The excitement quickly went south for the ‘Cats when the Pioneers broke out with their biggest lead of the game of 22 points. The lead was too big to overcome for Chico State.

The Wildcats are now 5-6 in conference play and will look to get back on the win column against Cal State Monterey Bay on Saturday.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.