• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

Men’s soccer wins in overtime thriller

Dan Reidel Sophomore forward Matt Hurlow takes a shot on a corner kick against the Broncos defense during the men's soccer game against Cal Poly Pomona on Sunday. This shot was wide of the goal.
Dan Reidel
Sophomore forward Matt Hurlow takes a shot on a corner kick against the Broncos defense during the men’s soccer game against Cal Poly Pomona on Sunday. This shot was wide of the goal.

The men’s soccer defeated the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos 1-0 Sunday in an exciting, physical game that ended in overtime.

The ‘Cats began the game controlling the ball for the majority of the first half. A good opportunity came from a header by Matt Hurlow off a corner kick, which sailed just over the crossbar and brought gasps from the crowd.

The Broncos did its part on defense by shutting Chico State down. Even with three shots on target, the ‘Cats could not get one in the goal.

Chico State’s defense was also able to stop the Broncos, who controlled the ball for most of the second half. Both teams seemed up to the challenge and regulation ended 0-0, forcing the game to overtime.

It did not take long for the Wildcats to get the ball into the net. Forward Matt Hurlow broke away from defenders and scored in the 93rd minute with an assist from midfielder J.P. Medina.

“All weekend we haven’t put the ball in the back of the net,” Hurlow said. “It felt awesome to get that one in.”

Chico State moves to 3-1 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association and 5-1 overall.

Sergio Sanchez can be reached at [email protected].

[flagallery gid=2]