Valentine’s Day songs to set the mood

Every year, Feb. 14 rolls around symbolizing a time of red roses, romantic Hallmark cards and an endless number of romantic songs.

Whether spending Valentine’s Day with a loved one, roommates or alone, there are an endless amount of tunes you can blast this upcoming holiday.

The Orion asked Chico State students what songs they would have on their Valentine’s Day playlist, and everything from old-school hip-hop and R&B to pop made the cut.

LynnSimsWEB.jpg
Lynn Sims, first-year pre-nursing major, shares what songs she would have on her Valentine's Day playlist. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Lynn Sims, first-year pre-nursing major.

“Love” by Musiq Soulchild

“If you listen to the words, he tells you what love is and it’s a peaceful song,” Sims said.

PhengYangWEB.jpg
Pheng Yang, senior management information systems major, enjoys the sound of a soothing piano as a Valentine's Day anthem. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Pheng Yang, senior management information systems major.

“All of Me” by John Legend

“He wrote it for his girlfriend, who’s now his wife, and he talks about how he loves her,” Yang said. “I like the soothing piano. It’s a lovey-dovey song.”

AngelaBautistaWEB.jpg
Angela Bautista, senior sociology major, enjoys the good vibes that the band 311 gives off in its music. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Angela Bautista, senior sociology major.

“Amber” by 311

“It’s like, my favorite song,” Bautista said. “It talks about how amber is the color of your energy. It’s vibing. I like the beat. It makes me feel good about myself, and it relaxes me. It helps me get in touch with myself.”

Mazi-Nobel-WEB.jpg
Mazi Noble, editor of the University Catalog, wants to jam to his favorite hip-hop song on Valentine's Day. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Mazi Noble, editor of the University Catalog.

“I Need Love” by LL Cool J

“It’s the first hip-hop love song I heard in my life,” Noble said. “I was so young when it came out. It was so new and different.”

DanielNavaWEB.jpg

Daniel Nava, junior psychology major.

“Maps” by Maroon 5

“This song talks about how you are looking for someone better for your life,” Nava said. “It’s a catchy song.”

KameronWarfieldWEB.jpg
Kameron Warfield, who is working on a moderate to severe teaching credential, talks about how Chris Brown sets the mood for her Valentine's Day. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Kameron Warfield, senior, moderate to severe teaching credential.

“Drunk Texting” by Chris Brown (ft. Jhene Aiko)

“It doesn’t just happen when you are drunk,” Warfield said. “This song really sets the mood.”

AdanOsoriaWEB.jpg
Adan Osoria, junior health education major, advises students to listen to the timeless vocals of Ciara this Valentine's Day. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Adan Osoria, junior health education major.

“Body Party” by Ciara

“Her vocals are the best,” Osoria said. “You can relax to it or listen to it in the car, at home or with your friends. I just think it’s so timeless.”

JesseIrvinWEB.jpg
Jesse Irwin, junior business major, knows that girls like to listen to the Beatles on Valentine's Day. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Jesse Irwin, junior business major.

“I Want To Hold Your Hand” by the Beatles

“Why not? It’s the Beatles,” Irwin said. “Chicks like that.”

HannahHolfordWEB.jpg
Hanna Holford, first-year business major, enjoys listening to happy songs that make her want to dance. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Hanna Holford, first-year business major.

“Say My Name” by ODESZA (feat. Zyra)

“It’s a happy song,” Holford said. “It talks about dancing. It says, ‘I wanna dance with you!'”

MelissaCastroWEB.jpg
Melissa Castro, first-year pre-nursing major, always wants to hear more songs written by women on Valentine's Day. Photo credit: Malik Payton

Melissa Castro, first-year pre-nursing major.

“We Belong Together” by Mariah Carey

“It’s really romantic and it’s cute,” Castro said. “I like Valentine’s Day, and I don’t think there’s many love songs written by girls. Mariah Carey takes one for the team.”

Nicole Santos can be reached at [email protected] or at Iam_NicoleS on Twitter.