• A girl and her dog enjoy the blue cloudy skies and fresh air on a walk in Cannonville, Utah, appreciating the beauty of nature and calming energy it brings. Taken by Ava Aragon on July 29, 2023.

10 ways to celebrate Earth Day

• Photo of Katie Callahan, who ran the event. An art history major in her senior year, she is the single student employed by Wellcat Safe Place. Taken on April 18th, 2024

Affirmative consent: What is it?

• 2023-24 Chico State men’s golf team in front of Kendall Hall. Courtesy: Jason Haley/Chico State photographer

Chico State men’s golf prepares for upcoming conference championship

‘Cats kick off 4-game series with a win

d86ebc9c-d50e-440d-9dd0-6e169f9aac1aforweb.jpg
Junior pitcher A.J. Epstein throws a player out attempting to steal a base during practice. Photo credit: Zach Aucella

The Wildcats started out their series against Cal State Stanislaus with a victory on Friday. Chico State came away with a 5-1 win.

The ‘Cats’ senior pitcher Luke Barker struck out 11 batters, allowed three hits and only one run as he worked his way to his first complete game of the season.

Chico State jumped out to a quick lead with a solo home run from senior first baseman Tyler Madrid in the second inning.

The Wildcats extended the score in the top of the sixth inning to 2-0 when senior third baseman Dylan Garcia drove in Madrid on a single through the right side.

The Warriors answered back in the bottom half of the sixth inning, bringing the Wildcats’ lead to one.

The ‘Cats scored two more in the seventh inning when senior catcher Peter Miller doubled to right center.

After Barker allowed one run in the sixth, he shut the Warriors down for the rest of the game, striking out five batters in the last three innings.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.