Wildcats take 3 of 4 games in conference opener

langelohforweb.jpg
Brooke Langeloh winds up for a pitch against Southern Oregon on Feb. 15. Photo credit: Caio Calado

It was a beautiful day for some softball and an even better day to be a part of the Wildcat softball program Saturday afternoon.

University Softball Stadium was rocking as the Wildcats swept the second day of their four-game series against the Cal State East Bay Pioneers.

Game 1

The ‘Cats batted in two runs at the bottom of the first inning in their first game to start off the scoring.

The Wildcats and the Pioneers battled it out in the fourth and fifth inning, tying the game in the top of the fifth at 5-5.

In the bottom of the fifth, Chico State rallied, earning four runs from a grand slam that came off the bat of senior third baseman Courtney Brown.

The ‘Cats held the Pioneers scoreless in the sixth and scored three runs of their own, ending the duel with a score of 12-5.

Game 2

Cal State East Bay opened up the scoring in the first inning batting in one run.

From there, Chico State took the reigns taking the lead in the same inning with the score of 2-1.

The ‘Cats went on to scoring three more runs in the third inning.

Cal State East Bay were only allowed to score four more runs, maxing out at five while Chico State scored four more, after their previous five, capping at nine runs.

The last game of the series ended in the seventh inning with a score of 9-5, ‘Cats on top once again.

The Wildcats scored 21 runs on the day and only allowed 10 runs for the game.

Chico State won three of four games in the series bumping up their overall record to 6-2 and starting their conference record with 3-1.

The Chico State Wildcats have another four game series at home where they will take on the San Francisco State Gators next Friday and Saturday, February 27-28, at noon and 2 p.m. both days.

Dylan Wakefield can be reached at [email protected] or @dylan_wakefield on Twitter.