• The Chico Seed Orchard nature trail is about one mile long, paved and surrounded by a variety of trees with an interesting historical background. Photo by Heather Taylor on Feb. 3, 2024.

New trail of thought: Chico Seed Orchard

• Chico State baseball celebrates a hard-fought win over Montana State Billings. Taken by Lukas Mann on Feb. 8.

Revamped Chico State baseball squad off to undefeated start

• Wildcats play. Taken by Milca Elvira Chacon.

Chico State men’s basketball weekend recap: A triumph and setback on the road

• Students wait in line for the Harvester food truck. Taken by Jolie Asuncion Sept. 22, 2022.

15% of Sales: Associated Students Dining Services agreement

• Members of SWANASA group holding up a cut ties with genocide banner on Chico States campis

Students organize pro-Palestine walkout protest on Feb. 8

‘Cats battle through weather to earn 5th place finish

68ace329-6931-40e1-9b07-a060c2c48c20forweb.jpg
Dani O'Keefe takes a swing during practice for the fall 2014 season at Bidwell Park. Orion file photo

The spring season for the Chico State women’s golf team started with no practice rounds on Sunday because of the weather.

The Wildcats started the St. Edward’s Invitational a day early on Sunday due to the rain forecast on Monday, but they still managed to end the tournament on Tuesday.

After the first round, the ‘Cats were tied for fifth with a collective score of 332.

The Wildcats had to wait until Tuesday to continue play. In the second round they posted a score of 316, which was 16 shots less than the first round.

The ‘Cats finished with a collective score of 648, good for a fifth place finish.

Sophomore Abbey McGrew led the team over the two rounds, as she shot a total score of 155. Her score was good enough for ninth place.

Junior Bianca Armanini finished tied for 13th place with a score of 157 over the course of two rounds. While Junior Dani O’Keefe finished tied for 27th as she shot 83 and 79 through two rounds.

Senior Spencer Downey battled back in the second round as she shot an 81, which was 12 strokes less than her first round 93. Sophomore Sydney Zink posted a final score of 181. She carded a 93 in the first round and in the second round she shot five strokes less to give her an 88.

The University of Indianapolis ended up winning the St. Edward’s Invitational with a final score of 606.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.