Wildcats drop doubleheader

Matthew Vislosky

milleredited.gif

Chico State's Peter Miller batter about to hit a baseball during the game against Sonoma State Seawolves on Feb 27. Photo credit: Caio Calado

Chico State was looking to continue their winning streak of five in the doubleheader last Friday, but the ‘Cats dropped both games against Sonoma State.

Game one

The Wildcats struck first, something they have done in six of the nine games they have played so far.

Senior first baseman Tyler Madrid connected on a pitch from sophomore Haydon Turpin resulting in a homerun in the bottom of the second inning. Madrid gave the ‘Cats a one run lead.

The Wildcats extended its lead to two during that same inning when junior Andrew Carrillo singled to right field driving in one run.

Carrillo added another RBI, driving in freshman center fielder Sean Smith with a single through the left side in the bottom of the fourth.

Sonoma State would not go down easy, as they scored two runs in the top of the fifth and one run in the top of the sixth, which brought the game to a 3-3 tie.

Both teams would be scoreless until the 13th inning rolled around. Sonoma State would bust out of the gate in the top half driving in four runs off the bats of junior Philip Ramos, junior Spencer Neve and senior Hayden Cronenbold, bringing the score to 7-3.

The ‘Cats clawed back in the bottom half of the inning when junior left fielder Matt Jacobson reached on a crucial error, resulting in a run crossing the plate for the ‘Cats.

Senior catcher Peter Miller drove in two more with a single to right field, which put the ‘Cats down one run, 7-6. The magic stopped there as the Wildcats fell short and lost.

Chico State and Sonoma State together had 29 hits and 5 errors.

Game two

The second game was all Seawolves, as they handled the Wildcats and beat them 13-1.

The Seawolves had a huge second inning lighting up the scoreboard with 6 runs. The big hit came from junior first basemen Cody Morris when he doubled down the right field line racking up three RBI’s, to make it 6-0.

The Wildcats would answer back with a run in the bottom half of the inning, when senior third basemen Dylan Garcia singled through the right side scoring Madrid. This made the lead only five for the Seawolves, 6-1.

After the Wildcats scored in the second, the runs went on hiatus for the ‘Cats as they were held scoreless the rest of the game.

The Seawolves would put up seven more runs going on to take the victory with a final score of 13-1.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.