Wildcats beat Otters at home

rosarosoedited.gif
    Senior point guard Mike Rosaroso, attacking against Monterey Bay on February 27, 2015. Photo credit: Gustavo Ornelas

The Chico State men’s basketball team returned home defeating the Cal State Monterey Bay Otters in their second to last game of the season.

The ‘Cats continued on with their two game winning steak in pursuit to end the season strong, and move on to playoff season.

The first half started off with the ‘Cats leading the game. Senior forward Jordan Semple maked the first shot coming from an assist by sophomore guard Robert Duncan.

With eight minutes remaining in the first half, Otter’s junior guard Daye Turner, put his team close behind with a lay up bringing the score to 19-15.

With the Otters closing in the score, the ‘Cats stepped up, scoring three times in one minute putting them back with a leap of a lead.

A slick move made by Duncan gave him the breakaway dunk. Freshmen Corey Silverstrom added a spin away, and taking the ball to the net.

Final score for the first half being 38-26 with the ‘Cats holding on to their lead.

Semple brought the heat into the second half making a three pointer in the first 40 seconds.

The Otters struggled to stay in the game trying to break through the Wildcats’ defense.

With two minutes remaining in the final half, the Otters picked up the intensity, but the ‘Cats’ fourteen point lead proved to be too much for them.

The final score was 76-66 leaving the Wildcats with yet another home victory.

Breanna Barnard can be reached at [email protected] or @beeebarnyardd on Twitter.