‘Cats sweep double header with strong pitching

huffedited.gif
Junior Ashley Huff up to bat against Hawaii-Hilo on Feb. 12. Photo credit: Caio Calado

Chico State pitchers, junior Brooke Langeloh, and first year Haley Gilham, both threw complete games to beat the San Francisco State Gators in a double header on Friday, with final scores of 4-1 and 10-4.

Game 1

In the first game, the Gators jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third inning after a double and a single.

The ‘Cats answered in the bottom of the inning with RBI’s from sophomore catcher Tori Zimmermann, senior shortstop Emily McEnaney, and junior first basemen Desiree’ Gonzalez to put them up 3-1.

In the bottom of the fourth, junior outfielder Alli Cook hit a sacrifice fly to increase the lead to 4-1.

Langeloh shut out San Francisco State for the rest of the game. She pitched seven innings, allowing six hits, one run, one walk, and striking out four in her sixth win of the year.

Game 2

It only took two innings into the second game for Chico State to take control.

In the second inning, the Wildcats scored eight runs to jump out to a quick 8-0 lead.

The team added to their lead, scoring two more in the fourth.

The Gators would show some life with runs of their own in the third and sixth, but it was not enough.

The offense was lead by McEnaney who went 3 for 4 with three RBI’s and junior catcher Brynn Lesovsky who went 2 for 2 and added three RBI’s of her own.

Gilham turned in another solid performance, throwing nine innings, allowing three runs on nine hits, and three strike outs.

The wins put Chico State at 8-2 for the year.

Nick Martinez-Esquibel can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.