‘Cats split weekend series

mcenaneyedited.gif
Senior infielder Emily McEnaney swinging for the ball against Cal State East Bay on Feb. 20. Photo credit: Caio Calado

After breezing past San Francisco State on Friday in the series openers, the ‘Cats offense struggled against the refurbished Gator defense who held them to only four runs for the day.

Game 1

Chico State threw the first punch in their Saturday morning duel with junior Ashley Huff scoring from third-base off of sophomore third baseman Tori Zimmerman’s groundout to the shortstop in the first inning.

San Francisco State responded quickly in the top of the second scoring a run to tie up the game at 1-1. It went on to score two more runs in the fourth, taking the lead for good.

The ‘Cats tried to rally back but were unable to capitalize in crucial moments, only scoring one more run in the fourth inning.

Chico State fell to San Francisco State 3-2 in their first clash of the day.

Game 2

The Wildcats were unable to break down a relentless Gator defense.

The Gators scored one run in the first inning to open up the scoring for the second round of the Saturday duel.

Chico State came back to tie the game in the second inning with a solo homerun off the bat of junior first baseman Desiree’ Gonzalez, her second of the season.

Huff hit her first homerun of her Wildcat career in the bottom of the third to push Chico State into the lead over San Francisco State, 2-1.

In the top of the sixth, junior first baseman Marisa Andrade, batted in three runs for the Gators, which would prove detrimental for Chico State.

The ‘Cats couldn’t answer back to the late runs, ultimately losing the last game 5-2.

The split dropped the ‘Cats record to 8-4 overall and 5-3 for conference.

Dylan Wakefield can be reached at [email protected] or @dylan_wakefield on Twitter.