Update: Student struck in hit-and-run has died

Ernesto Rivera

Kristina Chesterman, a 21-year-old nursing student, died Tuesday afternoon after being struck in a hit-and-run on Sunday.

A Chico State student who fought serious injuries after being struck by a car Sunday evening died Tuesday afternoon at Enloe Medical Center.

Kristina Chesterman, 21, a senior nursing major, suffered life-threatening injuries after being struck on the 300 block of Nord Avenue shortly before 11 p.m. and was transported to Enloe Medical Center in critical condition after the police arrived on scene, according to a Chico police press release. She died two days later, said Joe Wills, a spokesman for Chico State.

According to the press release, Riley Hoover, a 19-year-old Chico resident, was intoxicated and fled the collision scene after striking Chesterman.

Police say Hoover was involved in another collision at the 700 block  of Nord Avenue, where officers arrested him on suspicion of driving under the influence and fleeing a crime scene.

Chico police received the call regarding the collision at 10:54 p.m. and responded to the scene, said Sgt. George Laver of the Chico Police Department.

“The bicyclist was riding on the right-hand edge in the bike lane going northbound on Nord Avenue,” he said. “The vehicle crossed into the bike lane and struck the bicyclist from behind.”

Chesterman was dragged on the hood of Hoover’s GMC SUV for 100 yards after the impact, Laver said. The bicycle became lodged under the car and dislodged 200 yards after the impact.

The officers on the scene saw Chesterman had trouble breathing and suffered significant head injuries. Paramedics arrived immediately.

“They initially told us she was in critical, pretty grave, condition,” Laver said.

Chesterman spent two days in critical condition at Enloe Medical Center, according to Christina Chavira, a spokesperson for Enloe Medical Center.

A candlelight vigil for Chesterman’s recovery was held outside of Enloe Medical Center Monday evening.About 20 people gathered outside the hospital, including Chico State nursing students, friends and well-wishers, who wrote get-well notes on a poster that was later taken to her room.

Adam Wright, a Butte College student, said he became best friends with Chesterman in high school. She has always loved helping people, one of the many reasons she joined the nursing program at Chico State, Wright said.

“She touched everyone that met her,” he said. “Everyone that met her liked her.”

Chesterman transferred to Chico State from Livermore, Calif. in fall 2012, Wills said.

Hoover consented to a blood test and is currently being held at Butte County Jail, where he is being charged with two felonies: hit-and-run resulting in death or injury and driving under the influence causing bodily injury, according to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office. His court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 25 at the Butte County Courthouse. His bail has been set at $260,000.

The University flag is being flown at half staff Wednesday in Chesterman’s memory.

Ernesto Rivera can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.