Wildcats experience a rough weekend

milleredited.jpg
Senior catcher Peter Miller getting a hit against Sonoma State on Feb. 27. Photo credit: Caio Calado

The Wildcats concluded their four-game series on a sour note as they dropped another loss to UC San Diego with a score of 4-2.

The game was blown open in the bottom of the sixth inning when the Tritons scored four runs with the help of first year Tyler Plantier. Plantier had a clutch two out double to center field driving in three runs, which brought the score to 4-0.

In the top of the seventh, senior right fielder Connor Huesers tripled to left center and later scored when junior Jeff Ortega grounded out to second, bringing ‘Cats within three.

The Wildcats made quick work of the Tritons in the bottom of the seventh with three strikeouts. Junior second baseman Andrew Carrillo started off the inning with a double to right field.

He was drove in by senior left fielder Danny Miller off of a sac fly, which brought the score to 4-2.

Heading into the top of the ninth the the ‘Cats were shut down and extended the losing streak to four.

The ‘Cats head back to action next weekend when they host Cal State San Bernardino in a four game series.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.