Wildcats sweep Cal State Stanislaus

caiofeb15forweb.jpg
Sophomore catcher Tori Zimmerman up to bat against Southern Oregon on Feb. 15. Photo credit: Caio Calado

The Chico State softball team found success on the road in their doubleheader on Saturday against Cal State Stanislaus.

Game 1

The Wildcats kicked off the top of the first inning scoring four runs.

In the bottom of the first, the Warriors were able to respond, squeaking in two runs to keep themselves afloat.

In the second and fourth inning, Cal State Stanislaus reeled in two runs tying the game at four.

The ‘Cats were scoreless until the fifth inning when senior shortstop Emily McEnaney hit a solo homerun to give Chico State a 5-4 lead.

In the bottom of the seventh, the Warriors answered back to tie the game taking it into extra innings.

Chico State rallied in the eighth inning, scoring three runs and giving up zero runs to Cal State Stanislaus, taking the 8-5 victory over the Warriors.

Game 2

Chico State took an early lead, scoring one run in the second inning.

In the third, the ‘Cats added one more but the Warriors came back gaining three runs over the Wildcats’ two.

The fourth inning opened the door for the Wildcats’ offense.

Chico State scored one run in the fourth to tie the game.

In the sixth, McEnaney hit a two-run homer–her second of the day–to thrust Chico State into the lead.

The ‘Cats went on to score four runs in the seventh inning.

The Warriors were only able to add one more run in the seventh.

Chico State defeated Cal State Stanislaus 9-4, completing the four-game series sweep.

The Wildcats are now 12-4 overall and 9-3 for conference. They are set to take on Cal State San Bernardino in a four-game series on Friday March 13 and Saturday March 14.

Dylan Wakefield can be reached at [email protected] or @dylan_wakefield on Twitter.