• Coffee beans taken by Igor Haritanovich. Image courtesy of Pexels.

Chico’s coffee culture: grounds for celebration or a bean there, done that situation?

• Created by Ariana Powell on Dec. 3. Photos by James Superschoolnews and Brett Sayles on Pexels.

Happy horror-days: Christmas horror films

• Faculty members protest. Courtesy: California Faculty Association

CFA, CSU management fact-finding report released, no settlement reached

• Three firemen rake the remains of a soggy couch fire. Photo taken Nov. 27 by Molly Myers.

‘Oh shit, not again’: Another street couch engulfed in flames

• Sophomore Jojo Murphy vs. Yotes defender

Chico State Men’s Basketball loses first game of season

‘Cats salvage frustrating 4-game series

johnston227.jpg
First year outfielder Taylor Doane takes a swing against San Francisco State on Feb. 27. Photo credit: George Johnston

The Chico State softball team comes out flustered but not completely frustrated after playing a four-game series away at Cal State San Bernardino.

The ‘Cats were stumped in the first three games where they lost both games Friday and the Saturday opener.

In the series finale, Chico State found the stride it was looking for.

Game 1

In what seemed like a close game quickly turned into a scoring spree starting in the third inning for the Cal State San Bernardino Coyotes.

Coyote centerfielder Victoria Lievanos kicked off the scoring in style hitting a 2-run homer to centerfield.

Cal State San Bernardino continually scored through the sixth inning knocking in 3 runs in the fourth, 2 in the fifth and ending the spree with a solo homerun in the sixth off the bat of pitcher Cassandra Williams.

The Coyotes defeated the Wildcats 8-0 ending the game in the sixth inning because of mercy ruling.

Game 2

After losing three games, Chico State rallied to win the finale of the series against Cal State San Bernardino.

The Wildcats shut out the Coyotes in the finale by only allowing three hits to Cal State San Bernardino.

Chico State knocked in run after run from productive hitting and fundamental base running.

The ‘Cats earned three runs in the first inning, added two more in the third, two in the fourth and one more in the sixth totaling 14 hits and 8 runs for the game.

Chico State salvaged one game from the series and now sits at a record of 13-7 overall and 10-6 for conference play.

The Wildcats are continuing conference play after Spring break with a four-game series against Cal State Monterey Bay on Friday Mar. 20 and Saturday Mar. 21.

Dylan Wakefield can be reached at [email protected] or @dylan_wakefield on Twitter.