• Say hello to your new mayor. Photo by Robledo Rafael Andrade via Pexels.

'The Big Dipper'

A modest fur-prosal: Put pets in local politics

• Customers enjoying food in the seating area of Mas Amor Mexican Food. Taken by Jessica Miller on March 2.

Mas Amor Mexican Food’s grand opening is just the beginning

‘Cats go 1-1 against Otters

gilham.jpg
First-year pitcher Haley Gilham on the mound during practice Feb. 13. Photo credit: George Johnston

The Chico State women’s softball team dropped the first game against the Cal State Monterey Bay Otters 5-1, but answered back with a win of their own in the second game, 2-0.

Game 1

Chico State jumped on the scoreboard first in the bottom of the second. Senior second baseman Kelli Keefe tripled and senior shortstop Emily McEnaney scored, which brought the score to 1-0.

Cal State Monterey Bay answered with a run of its own in the top of the fourth, which tied the game at 1-1.

The Otters struck again in the top of the sixth, driving home four runs and giving themselves a 5-1 lead.

The lead the Otters acquired in the top of the sixth was too big to overcome for the ‘Cats, as they dropped game one of the doubleheader 5-1.

Game 2

As they did in the first inning of the first game, the Wildcats scored first again, bringing the score to 1-0.

After three scoreless innings, the ‘Cats put another on the scoreboard, which brought the lead over the Otters to 2-0.

The Wildcats took game two over the Otters with a score of 2-0.

The ‘Cats had five hits and zero errors and the Otters had three hits and zero errors.

Next Matchups

Chico State will be heading to Turlock for the Tournament of Champions. Its first match will be against Central Washington 9 a.m. Friday.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.