• Safe Space offers a helping hand to those in need in the community. Image generated by Firefly AI by Heather Taylor on March 28.

Celebrating a decade of shelter, adaptability with Safe Space

Walk-off winner for the ‘Cats

carillo1.jpg
Junior infielder Andrew Carillo up to bat against the Otters on March 27. Photo credit: Ryan Pressey

The Chico State baseball team won in walk-off fashion on the first game of their four-game series against Cal State Monterey Bay, 8-7.

The Otters jumped out to an early lead of 3-0 in the top of the third.

The Wildcats quickly answered back with a run of their own in the bottom half of the inning. Junior third baseman James Hatano singled and drove in junior catcher Cody Bistline, which brought the score to, 3-1.

The ‘Cats scored three runs in the bottom of the fourth.

Freshman shortstop Cameron Santos drove in two runs when he singled through the right side, which gave the Wildcats a 4-3 lead.

The Otters tacked two more runs on the scoreboard in the top of the fifth, which gave the lead back to them.

In the bottom of the fifth the ‘Cats had the bases loaded but only scored one run when freshman center fielder Sean Smith singled to third base, which drove in the run to tie the game at 5-5.

The Otters scored two runs in the bottom of the eighth which gave them a 7-5 lead.

The ‘Cats scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth, two of which came from senior first baseman Tyler Madrid when he singled to left center, giving the ‘Cats the walk-off victory, 8-7.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.