‘Cats win first and fourth to split 4-game series

Carillo1.jpg
Junior infielder Andrew Carrillo attempting to catch a fly ball on March 27 against the Otters. Photo credit: Ryan Pressey

The Chico State baseball team came out Sunday ready to respond to a disappointing Saturday doubleheader sweep delivered by Cal State Monterey Bay.

The scoring opened up in the top of the first with a run for the Otters.

The Wildcats responded in the bottom of the inning with four runs to take an early lead in the first, 4-1.

The early inning rally for Chico State would prove detrimental to Cal State Monterey Bay.

After an eventful first inning, the game had three scoreless innings in total and the Wildcats were held scoreless until the seventh.

The Otters chipped away at the 4-1 deficit, scoring a run in the third and another in the sixth, bringing the game to a one run difference, 4-3.

Chico State extended their lead in the seventh, scoring two runs to secure the lead with six runs on the day.

Cal State Monterey Bay was only able to push one more run home in the eighth inning.

The ‘Cats won the final game 6-4 over the Otters, splitting the four-game series.

Chico State is away at Cal State Los Angeles for a four-game series kicking off on Thursday night, April 2.

Dylan Wakefield can be reached at [email protected] or @dylan_wakefield on Twitter.