Wildcats drop doubleheader

huesers.jpg
Senior outfielder Connor Huesers staying alert on the outfield during a game against Sonoma State on Feb. 27. Photo credit: Ryan Pressey

Chico State dropped both games of a double header on Friday against the Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles losing 7-9, and 3-8 respectively.

Game 1

It was a high scoring affair started by the ‘Cats scoring two in first on RBI’s by senior outfielder Connor Huesers and junior catcher Cody Bistline.

In the second and third innings, the Golden Eagles tallied five runs to take a 5-2 lead.

An RBI by senior third basemen Dylan Garcia in the fourth cut Cal State Los Angeles’ lead to 3-5.

The Golden Eagles scored three more in the fourth and fifth inning to stretch the lead to 8-3.

The ‘Cats made it a game with a four run rally in the seventh, but it wasn’t enough.

Senior pitcher Brad Lohse was charged with the loss dropping him to 1-3 on the season. Lohse lasted just 2.1 innings, giving up six hits, five runs, three walks, and striking out

Sophomore infielder Clayton Gelfand lead the offense, going 3 for 5 with an RBI.

Game 2

The ‘Cats struck first again in the nightcap, but failed to do much else. After Gelfand drove in junior infielder Andrew Carrillo in the first, the ‘Cats didn’t score again until the seventh inning.

By the seventh inning it was too late.

The Golden Eagles scored six runs in the second inning, and two in the fifth to take a 8-1 lead.

The ‘Cats showed some life in the seventh when senior outfielder Danny Miller singled to drive in Garcia for Chico State’s second run of the game.

Gelfand then hit a sac fly that scored Huesers for the Wildcats last run of the game.

First year pitcher Hunter Haworth took the loss, making him 1-5. Haworth went 4.2 innings, allowing 11 hits, eight runs, two walks, and one strike out.

Nick Martinez-Esquibel can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.