• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

New club fosters personal growth with goal of changing the world

SWAG-WEB.jpg
Blake Smedley, creator of the new club S.W.A.G, thinks that the campus club can not only help the school but also the world. Photo credit: Jason Spies

It started with the simple idea of wanting to help friends get better at talking to girls that made Blake Smedley want to help others improve themselves and their outlook on life.

The senior chemistry major is the president and creator of the new club on campus called S.W.A.G, which stands for “So We All Grow.” The club is accepting of all people who want to make a positive change in themselves, the community and the world, Smedley said.

“The term S.W.A.G. fits the club perfectly because swag is defined as a person’s own sense of confidence,” he said. “Not cocky, but just someone who seems confident in their own skin.”

The club aims to help students learn simple tactics to make life better. Some students feel like they can see a change in their whole outlook on life just from going to the first few meetings and being in such a positive atmosphere, he said.

The club meets once a week at 6:30 p.m. in Ayres 120. There is a different topic of discussion each week or a discussion of a planned event on campus to help improve the well-being of others.

It all starts with people finding themselves and being comfortable in their own skin, Smedley said.

“Once you have invested enough time in yourself to find your inner self, that is when you find your inner swag,” he said.

The process by which S.W.A.G. wants to change the world starts with people getting more in touch with themselves and being the best they can can be, Smedley said. Being surrounded with people who want to make a change in themselves and the community as a whole benefits everyone’s personal growth as individuals.

Rebecca Mangin, a senior statistics major, has been going to S.W.A.G. since the first meeting and said that it has definitely had an impact on her life.

“Being around such positive people has made me view the world in a different, more positive way,” Mangin said. “I love it. I have never been happier or more focused on what is really important in my life.”

Tthe club has held a few events on campus such as Massage Therapy Day, when they taught the group members how to do something that can improve the quality of their lives.

“If your thinking of making a positive change in your life, give S.W.A.G. a try,” Mangin said. “It really works.”

S.W.A.G. wants to eventually get more involved in the community by hosting some events that give back to the people. Start small and dream big is how they look at it, Mangin said.

“We are a group of people who are smart enough to know we can make a difference in the world,” Smedley said. “But more importantly, dumb enough to try.”

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.