‘Cats drop 1st game of series against Gators

Haworth.jpg
First year pitcher Hunter Haworth tosses the ball to senior Dylan Garcia to beat a Cal State Dominguez Hills batter from getting on base in a game on April 10. Photo credit: Ryan Pressey

The Wildcats came up just a run short against the San Francisco State Gators, losing the first game of the series, 3-4.

The Gators came out swinging, scoring three runs in the first inning against senior pitcher Luke Barker–the first came off an error, the other two coming on base hits, –to take an early 3-0 lead.

The Wildcats fought back in the third inning when senior outfielder Connor Huesers singled to drive in senior designated hitter Clayton Gelfand, to cut the lead to 1-3.

San Francisco State answered quickly in the bottom of the inning, scoring one on a single to increase their lead to 4-1.

In the fourth, the ‘Cats scored another when senior outfielder Danny Miller drove in Gelfand to give them their second run of the game and bring the score to 2-4.

Both pitchers settled down until the ‘Cats rallied to get the bases loaded with no outs in the top of the seventh inning. Junior infielder Andrew Carrillo hit a pinch hit sacrifice-fly to drive in the only run the ‘Cats would get to pull within one run.

The team’s run in the 7th would be the last run of the game, as the Gators won 4-3

The losing pitcher Barker went 6.2 innings, allowing 4 runs (3 earned), 6 hits, 4 walks, and 3 strikeouts. The loss puts him at 6-4 on the season.

Nick Martinez-Esquibel can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.