• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Cal State East Bay upsets Chico State

Docherty-2web.jpg
Junior golfer Alistair Docherty is currently ranked 15th in the nation by Golfstat. Docherty won his first CCAA tournament on April 21. Photo Courtesy: Chico Wildcats

Junior All-American Alistair Docherty got the first tournament championship victory of his collegiate career on April 21, in a playoff over Cal State Stanislaus’ Connor Day at the California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship Tournament.

One of the top collegiate golfers in the nation, currently 15th in the nation according to Golfstat, Docherty’s first individual championship had been just out of reach until the first day of the CCAA tournament.

Docherty shot 70, 68 to finish 6-under and lead the Wildcats. The team finished 17-under to take the top seed in Tuesday’s medal match play portion.

Junior Justin Wiles joined Docherty as an All-Tournament finisher after an afternoon 66 followed his morning 73 and left him tied for third at 5-under. Junior Lee Gearhart, ranked 4th on Golfstat, finished tied for 6th with a pair of 2-under 70s at 4-under par.

New to the postseason for the Wildcats were senior Zachary Sardina and first year Colby Dean who both came through in a big way for the ‘Cats.

Sardina went back-to-back rounds of even-par 72 to finish tied for 14, matching his best finish at Chico State. Dean was tied for the tournament lead early in the first round before shooting 71 followed by a 77 in the afternoon to finish 4-over and T26.

In Tuesday’s match play portion of the championship the Wildcats were upset in the first round by Cal State East Bay, losing 3-2 in medal match play. Gearhart and Wiles both were under par and won their respective matches.

Docherty, Sardina and Dean all lost their match-ups with the Pioneers. East Bay finished fourth Monday before beating the Wildcats.

Chico State now waits to hear what seed they have for the NCAA Championship West/Central Super Regional on May 4-6 at Hiddenbrooke Golf Club in Vallejo. The announcement is scheduled for April 24.

Kevin Lucena can be reached at [email protected] or @klucena824 on Twitter