Professors should speak up about the shutdown

Amanda Irons
Amanda Irons

Unless you have been in a coma for the last three days, you’ve likely been informed that the United States government has shutdown.

I’m not going to act like I know much about politics, but I have taken Political Science 155 and I currently have Internet connection. Essentially, the House Republicans and the Senate Democrats wouldn’t agree on the budget.

The center of this argument is The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, most commonly referred to as Obamacare. Republicans don’t agree with the new law and want to include provisions in the budget that will delude its funding. Democrats are just as persistent to ensure this doesn’t happen.

When the government is shutdown, the funding is halted until a compromise can be made. Thus displacing more than 800,000 government employees. This number doesn’t include 3.3 million employees that are considered essential, the military or Congress. This also ceases the processing of passports, small business loans, and gun permits, to name a few.

The quicker the House and Senate can come to an agreement, the less it will impact the economy. If it takes too long, however, there could be serious economic repercussions.

In light of all of this, why hasn’t a single professor of mine even acknowledged the shutdown? I am a business major. Certainly connections can be made to course material. Undoubtedly current events, particularly those pertaining to the government, are deemed worthy to be discussed and explained in a classroom setting.

Are my professors waiting until the next textbook publishes the event and preserves it for a small fee of $574 to finally discuss it? I’m not so cynical to believe that to be true, but I am in a way disappointed in Chico State. It should take priority to lecture to discuss current events. Especially those events that could have a monumental impact on society at large.

Amanda Irons can be reached at [email protected].