Mix with Marissa: Music Festivals 2015

mix with marissa.jpg
Photo credit: Zak Magno

With Coachella wrapped up and summer within reach, music festival season is in full swing.

There is nothing quite like a weekend of your favorite artists on stage surrounded by thousands of fans, where the antics are crazy and the outfits are crazier.

As our parents said before we left for college, “Life is not just about hitting the books; you have to work hard and play hard.”

As students try to stay afloat in the last few weeks of classes, The Orion shells out seven other top music festivals for you save (and starve) for.

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 12.22.24 AM.png

Hangout Fest

WHERE: Gulf Shores, Alabama

WHEN: May 15 – 17

LINEUP HIGHLIGHTS: Foo Fighters, My Morning Jacket, Major Lazer, Beck, Foster The People

WHY YOU SHOULD GO: While beautiful beaches aren’t your typical music festival setting, the venue plays host to an eclectic blend of mellow acts that balances out the livelier ones.

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 10.23.33 PM.png

California Roots

WHERE: Monterey, California

WHEN: May 22 – 24

LINE UP HIGHLIGHTS: Michael Franti and Spearhead, The Roots, John Butler Trio, Cypress Hill, Mike Love

WHY YOU SHOULD GO: If you’re all about the good vibes, California sun and the fact that Jimi Hendrix lit his guitar on fire here, this is definitely the spot for you.

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 12.33.13 AM.png

Governor’s Ball

WHERE: Randall’s Island, New York

WHEN: June 5-7

LINEUP HIGHLIGHTS: Florence + The Machines, Marina and The Diamonds, SBTRKT, Lana Del Rey, Vance Joy

WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Yeah, it’s going to get kind of touristy and summer in New York gets kind of muggy, but where else would make for a killer venue than a music festival in the Big Apple itself?

b.png

Bonnaroo

WHERE: Manchester, Tennessee

WHEN: June 11-14

LINE UP HIGHLIGHTS: Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, Frank Ocean, MØ, Odesza

WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Shell out your hula hoops, face paint and Teva sandals (but beware the sandal tan) and consider EZ ups and tapestries your best friend for the next few days. Also, silent disco.

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 12.49.38 AM.png0

Lollapalooza

WHERE: Chicago, Illinois

WHEN: July 31 – August 2

LINE UP HIGHLIGHTS: The Wombats, Galantis, George Ezra, Glass Animals, Tame Impala

WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Even the Windy City’s bipolar weather is not going to deter you from what is rumored to be one of the most well organized festivals. If you’re lucky enough to score a pass to Lolla, that is.

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 10.22.10 PM.png

Outside Lands

WHERE: Golden Gate Park, San Francisco

WHEN: August 7 – 9

LINEUP HIGHLIGHTS: Porter Robinson, Kendrick Lamar, Chet Faker, RL Grime, Wilco

WHY YOU SHOULD GO: As if a photo op with Ranger Dave is not enough of an excuse, you can also indulge yourself silly on endless varieties of food, beer and wine. SF food trucks are the best cure for the drunchies.

k.jpeg

Kaboo

WHERE: San Diego, California
WHEN: September 18 – 20
LINE UP HIGHLIGHTS: The Killers, No Doubt, The White Panda, OK GO, Grace Porter and the Nocturnals
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Let the warm shores of the Pacific crash as you sip on your margarita and fish tacos with rock ‘n’ roll acts in the background. Life really is a beach, huh?

Marissa Iqbal Hakim can be reached at [email protected] or @daenamarissa on Twitter.