Wildcats sweep Toros

softball.jpg
Senior infielder Emily McEnaney batting against Hawaii-Hilo on Feb 12. Photo credit: Caio Calado

Chico State women’s softball team took on Cal State Dominguez Hills in a doubleheader on Saturday and like the one on Friday, they came away with two wins.

Game 1

The Wildcats struck first in the top of the first when junior center fielder Alli Cook scored off a walk to junior Brynn Lesovsky, which gave the ‘Cats a 1-0 lead.

The ‘Cats put four more runs on the scoreboard in the top of the third. Two of those runs came from a two run home-run from senior third baseman Courtney Brown. It gave the Wildcats a 5-0 lead.

The ‘Cats tacked on another run in the top of the fourth, which made the score 6-0.

The Toros scored their first two runs of the game in the bottom of the seventh, but couldn’t find any more magic.

The ‘Cats won the first game over the Toros with a score of 6-2.

Game 2

The Wildcats did not waste anytime in the second game as they scored the first run in the top of the first. Junior left fielder Ashley Huff scored on a throwing error, which gave the ‘Cats the 1-0 lead.

They tacked on another run that same inning when senior shortstop Emily McEnaney fouled out but drove in junior center fielder Alli Cook, which gave the ‘Cats a 2-0 lead.

The ‘Cats added another run on the scoreboard when Cook singled, which drove in senior second baseman Kelli Keefe. The run extended the Wildcats lead to 3-0 in the top of the second.

The Toros had a breakout inning in the bottom of the second. They scored four runs, which gave them the 4-3 lead over the ‘Cats.

The Toros added two more runs in the bottom of the fourth, when center fielder Jasmine Ruiz doubled, which cleared the bases and extended the Toros lead to 6-3.

The Wildcats scored three runs in the top of the fifth off of a three straight RBI doubles, which tied the game at 6-6.

The ‘Cats regained the lead in the top of the sixth, when they scored three runs, which made it 9-6.

Junior first basemen Desiree Gonzalez homered and extended their lead to 11-6.

In the bottom of the sixth the Toros cut into the ‘Cats lead and made the score 11-9. The Toros added another run in the bottom of the seventh, but fell short and lost to the Wildcats, 11-10.

Matthew Vislosky can be reached at [email protected] or @MattVislosky on Twitter.