Best shows to watch on Netflix

Allison Galbreath

cbf32417-80c3-4d25-b9d7-43eb5b6adf43.jpg

Illustration by Miles Huffman

The time has come. It’s finals week, full of exams and stress. But that also means that this semester is coming to a close and it’s almost summer.

With that in mind, here are some shows on Netflix I personally enjoy and think are worth watching for a good distraction and to kick off the summer:

• “Orange is the New Black” — many have already seen this show, but it’s still worth mentioning for anyone who hasn’t yet. It’s full of interesting women all with unique stories. An edgy comedy with heart.
  • “Charmed” — this may or may not be a biased opinion, as this is my favorite childhood show, but it’s worth watching nonetheless. Three sisters who find out they’re the most powerful witches alive … and kick some ass. A show that started in the ’90s that still is relevant today. Truly timeless.
  • “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” — A Netflix original about a woman who lived in a bunker with three other women because a “priest” told her the world had ended. She finally gets released and has no idea how to live in a world that has changed so drastically. Hilarity ensues.
  • “Mixology” — The entire season is about what happens in one night at a bar. Each episode is a continuation of the same night. Watch as things get crazier and more out of control. Hilarious and amazing. The only downside is that it only has one season. 🙁
  • “The Guild” – It was once only a YouTube series but has now made it onto Netflix. For anyone who loves nerdy comedy, this one might hit the right note. It is literally about a group of strangers who all play the same online video game and are in the same guild. Everything is fine until one day … everything changes. Full of awkwardness and, of course, entirely hilarious. And definitely relatable for any video game nerds out there. Plus, it’s a show starring Felicia Day. What could be better?
  • “Being Human” – A confused ghost, a troubled werewolf and a lonely vampire. It sounds like the start of a bad joke, doesn’t it? But it’s truly a great show. Each of these characters have felt the particular sting of loneliness and contempt for self that comes from feeling like a monster. But they end up finding each other and creating their own small community. Both the U.K. and the U.S. versions are great (and both are on Netflix).
  • Honorable Mentions: “Fringe,” “The 4400,” “Xena: Warrior Princess,” “Pretty Little Liars,” “Sherlock” and “Lost Girl.”

Good luck on any and all finals, papers and/or presentations. And have fun procrastinating with these amazing shows.

Allison Galbreath can be reached at [email protected] or @agalbreath19 on twitter.