Former student charged with rape, sodomy

Daniel Deluna Martinez, 27, from Hamilton City. Photo courtesy of the Butte County District Attorneys office.
Daniel Deluna Martinez, 27, from Hamilton City. Photo courtesy of the Butte County District Attorney’s office.

Former Chico State student Daniel Deluna Martinez has been arrested for sodomy, rape, digital penetration, and oral copulation of unconscious persons, according to a press release from the Butte County District Attorney’s office.

Martinez was a criminal justice major who attended Chico State from 2007 to 2014. He did not graduate.

Martinez, 27, of Hamilton City, was arrested at Butte County Jail Aug. 13 after being previously charged with multiple counts of identity theft, burglary and computer hacking.

Martinez also faces charges for possession of over 600 images of child pornography.

The sexual assaults occurred between February 2011 to May 2014 against two women, one of whom does not have any recollection of the assaults.

Martinez is being charged for 13 counts of sodomy of an unconscious person, six counts of rape of an unconscious person, seven counts of digital penetration of an unconscious person, three counts of oral copulation of an unconscious person, two counts of oral copulation by force, one count of sodomy by force and one count possession of child pornography.

All together there are 33 counts alleged against Martinez. Bail was requested at $2,015,000.

Martinez could face life in prison.

Following being identified as a suspect in unauthorized access of student accounts, search warrants were issued and served for Martinez’s computers.

Found on Martinez’s computers were homemade videos depicting the defendant sexually assault the two female victims.

The victims were often unconscious and the sexual assaults had been committed in Butte, Tehama, Glenn, Alameda and San Francisco counties. Butte County was given authority to prosecute the sex crimes which happened in their jurisdictions.

“Martinez took advantage of women at their most vulnerable – unconscious and unable to defend themselves,” said Mike Ramsey, Butte County district attorney, in the press release. “He did not stop at violating them sexually. Instead, he recorded the assaults to keep as trophies.”

Madison Holmes can be reached at [email protected] or @madisonholmes95 on Twitter.