‘Cats advance to 6-0

Jason Spies

cody91.jpg

Cody Hein, Head Chico State Women's Coach, reached a career milestone this previous Monday with his 200th win. Photo courtesy of Chico Wildcats.

The Chico State women’s volleyball team went 2-0 on Monday with a clean sweep of both Simpson University and William Jessup University. The two victories gave head coach Cody Hein his 200th career win making him the most successful coach in Chico State volleyball history. The two wins advanced their record to a 6-0 start this year which makes this the third time Hein has led a team to a record of 6-0 to kick off a season.

The Wildcats picked up right where they left off on Sunday, as they beat Simpson University in the first set 25-14 and looked poised to make it a lopsided game. Simpson fought back in set two but was still no match for the Wildcats relentless attack as they finished the set with 11 kills and won 25-20. Simpson kept fighting but their 13 errors were a big reason why they ended up falling 25-21 in the third set.

Chico finished the game with 28 kills, 6 aces, 25 assists, and 55 digs. Freshman middle hitter Kim Wright and senior outside hitter Shannon Boling led the team in kills with 5 each, and sophomore setter Carroll McKenna tallied 19 assists.

In the matchup against William Jessup University, the Wildcats put all their talent on display. Nearly everyone on the team contributed in a positive way and they went on to collect another win beating the Warriors in straight sets 25-10, 25-19, and 25-18. The win gave coach Hein his 200th win making the two victories that much sweeter. The Wildcats ended the game with 36 kills, 29 assists, and 65 digs.

Freshman outside hitter Shelby Frank led Chico with 8 kills while senior middle hitter Hannah Wilkins was right behind her with 7. The Wildcats had two double digit assist leaders with setters Carrol McKenna and Torey Thompson finishing the game with 13 and 11 respectively. There were three ‘Cats that finished with double figures in digs led by Shelby Frank with 15, Jacki Kreymborg tallied 12, and Shannon Cotton finishing with 11.

With a 6-0 start to the season, head coach Hein getting his 200th win as head coach of the Chico State women’s volleyball team, it’s safe to say it was a good labor day for the Wildcats.

Chico State returns to action this Friday, September 11th as they compete in the Western Oregon Invitational in Monmouth Oregon. The Wildcats take on Notre Dame de Namur at 9:30 a.m.

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.