Chico State women’s volleyball wins first game of CCAA play

IMG_3398web.jpg
The women's volleyball team opens CCAA play with a three-set sweep against Cal State East Bay. Photo credit: John Domogma

After losing two games last week, the Chico State women’s volleyball team rebounded to sweep the Cal State East Bay Pioneers in three sets to win their home opener and first CCAA conference match.

The team improves to 9-2 on the season and are now 1-0 in CCAA play.

Set 1: The game started off back and forth, until Chico State pulled away to take a 7-3 lead. After a timeout, the ‘Cats really started to gain momentum and increased their lead to 18-8. They would end the game on a 7-3 run to take the first set 25-11.

Set 2: The second set was all Wildcats again, quickly taking a 10-5 lead. The ‘Cats then went on to 11-8 to blow up the game at 21-13, forcing the Pioneers to take a timeout. They finished off the set 25-15, winning by double digits for the second straight set.

Set 3: CSU East Bay wouldn’t go down without a fight, tying with the Wildcats at 13 in the final set. That’s as close as the Pioneers would get, as Chico State would only allow three more points before taking the final set 25-16 and completing the sweep.

Sophomore Olivia Mediano led the attack for the Wildcats, compiling eight kills. She also helped on the defensive side with seven digs, alongside sophomore Shannon Cotton who had seven digs as well.

Chico State plays their second CCAA match on Friday, Sept. 18 at Cal State Dominguez Hills at 7 p.m.

Nick Martinez-Esquibel can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.