• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

Women’s volleyball swept by Cal State LA

IMG_3611web copy

The Wildcats’ great start to the 2015 season sputtered in Los Angeles as they were swept by the Golden Eagles in three sets.

Sophomore outside hitter Olivia Mediano led Chico with 12 kills while junior setter Torey Thompson had a team high of 33 assists. Even with great play from both ‘Cats, the team left Los Angeles with a 10-3 overall record after the loss.

The Wildcats led early in the first set that went back and forth before losing 26-24. The ‘Cats had 14 kills in the first set, but the nine errors proved costly for Chico State.

The second set was all Cal State L.A. The Golden Eagles jumped out to lead 11-3 and held on for the remainder of the set. The closest Chico got to the lead was 19-16 before the Golden Eagles scored six of their final seven points to win 25-17.

The final set was just as competitive as the first with Chico keeping it close at 18-16. Cal State L.A. pushed the lead to 21-17, and that was the game as Chico State couldn’t counter and fell 25-20 to their rivals from the south.

The Wildcats finished the night posting 36 kills and dishing out 35 assists, but the biggest problem for the ‘Cats were errors. The Wildcats committed 24 errors compared to Cal State L.A.’s 16. In a close game against a very talented opponent, the errors proved costly for the Chico State Wildcats.

Chico State spikes back into action Tuesday, Sept. 22, when they travel to play San Francisco State at 7 p.m.

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.