• The Sigma Pi fraternity house on a quiet Monday morning in Chico, California on Feb. 26, 2024. Photo taken by Molly Myers.

• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Men’s soccer loses to Sonoma State 2-0

IMG_4491web copy.jpg
Matt Hurlow, senior forward, dribbles the ball up the field. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State men’s soccer team wrapped up its two-game road trip with a 2-0 loss against the Sonoma State Seawolves on Sept. 27.

The Wildcat loss drops their conference record to 1-1-0 and their season record to 3-3-1.

The first half began with plenty of action. For every attacking play the Wildcats had, the Seawolves answered back with a quick counterattack.

Despite the Wildcats’ best efforts, they could not find the back of the net thanks to the play of Sonoma State’s sophomore goalkeeper Mitch North, who prevented what might have been a lopsided game. During the first half, two yellow cards were handed out: one to Sonoma State’s junior forward Armando Coronel and one to Wildcat senior defender Justin Walmsley.

Heading into halftime the teams were tied. But just six minutes into the second half, Sonoma State opened up the scoring.

The first goal of the game was scored by junior forward T.J. Perez who latched onto a pass from junior defender Ryan Rohane, which allowed him to score from five yards inside the box. Rohane was able to place the pass for Perez after sophomore midfielder Josh Sanchez found him inside the box.

The second goal of the game was scored by Sonoma State’s senior forward Brenton Frame, who angled his shot from 20 yards out to the upper right hand corner.

Despite taking more shots and having more shots on goal, the Wildcats were unable to find the back of the net.

The Chico State men’s soccer team will return home for its second game of the season on Friday, Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. against Cal State East Bay.

Carlos Islas can be reached at [email protected] or @CislasRUNews on Twitter.