Women’s volleyball team sweeps Cal State East Bay in three sets

Volleyball-Recap-Sept.-30.jpg
Olivia Mediano, sophomore outside hitter, racked up her 233rd kill of the season in the 3-0 sweep of Cal State East Bay. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State women’s volleyball team won three straight sets against the Cal State East Bay Pioneers to take the match on Sept. 27.

The win marked the team’s 13th win of the season, and fifth in CCAA conference play.

Set 1 – The first set was close throughout with six ties. The teams tied at eight, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 19. The ‘Cats pulled away late, going on a 6-1 run to take the first set 25-21 over the Pioneers.

Set 2 – The Pioneers came out with a spark after dropping the first set, taking an early 6-3 lead. The Wildcats would tie it at nine and distance themselves from Cal State East Bay after that. Up 20-15, Chico State finished off the second set with a final score of 25-19 to gain a commanding 2-0 set lead.

Set 3 – Chico State did not want to play another set and dominated the last set to complete the sweep. The ‘Cats led by 10 almost the entire set, closing the book on Cal State East Bay with an impressive 25-14 win in the final set.

Sophomore Anna Baytosh and senior Shannon Boling led the team with 10 kills each. Sophomore Olivia Mediano contributed 11 digs and junior Torey Thompson attributed 36 assists.

The team plays Cal State Stanislaus at home on Saturday, Oct. 3 for its next match.

Nick Martinez can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.