Be active and enjoy Chico

Chico is a beautiful place and we are privileged to live here as students, even if it’s just for a short period of time. We get to enjoy the wonderful weather year-round and the gorgeous natural surroundings that make Chico the ideal place for activities such as hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing and golfing.

There are many places throughout Chico and its surrounding areas to participate in these activities.

Whether looking for a leisurely stroll, bike ride, swim or hike to get a gorgeous view from above Chico, Bidwell Park has it all. It is easy to enjoy it during the fall, especially with its hundreds of different kinds of trees, and leaves falling that create a mural beneath your feet.

Cody Webber, a Chico State senior, said he loves being a part of Chico’s adventurous culture and takes full advantage of Bidwell Park.

“I love how Chico is based around nature and that there are always new places to be found,” Webber said. “I really enjoy all of the hiking trails Upper Bidwell has to offer.”

As Chico students, we also get to enjoy the rivers and streams running through our town, which provides a lot of fun water sports, such as kayaking, fishing and floating.

Senior Lauren Curran said she enjoys the flumes, which is a spot of swimming holes, in Paradise.

“The flumes are a blast,” Curran said. “I love being outdoors and taking in all the fresh air in Chico. It’s nice to escape the craziness of life and to just be in nature. This is the perfect mixture of adventure and relaxation. It’s great to explore on a weekend with friends.”

Golfing is also a popular hobby in Chico, with many courses including Canyon Oaks, Tuscan Ridge, Bidwell Park and Butte Creek.

Junior Logan Shaw said he has taken up golf as a hobby during his time in Chico.

“Chico has so many things to do outdoors but my favorite is golf,” he said. “I enjoy golfing at Tuscan Ridge most. Being recreational and adventurous is an important part of the Chico culture.”

Nature and adventure are part of what makes Chico such an ideal recreational place. This aspect of Chico is also the leading force for many students to come to this wonderful, small northern California town.

Get out, get active, get adventurous and explore some of the beautiful, fun, outdoor activities Chico has to offer.

Jordyn Provence can be reached at [email protected]