• Tommy, a 3 year old Golden Retriever, interacts with students at The Well. Taken by Toby Neal on Feb. 28.

Bell Memorial Union is going to the dogs

• Signs with checkmarks on them. Created by Steven Amador on Mar. 1

CSU Board of Trustees to vote on Academic Professionals of America tentative agreement

Men’s soccer team loses 1-0 to Cal State Stanislaus

Men's Recap.jpg
Sophomore midfielder Jesus Ramos brings the ball up for the Wildcats during the Oct. 4 game against Cal State Stanislaus. Photo credit: John Domogma

The Chico State men’s soccer team managed to keep the Cal State Stanislaus Warriors’ high-powered offense at bay but failed to find the back of the net and lost 1-0 at home on Oct. 4.

Chico State’s record dropped to 4-4-1 overall while the conference record stands at 2-2-0.

First Half: The first half saw both teams fight hard for possession with the action going back and forth. During the half, Chico State managed to get five shots off while only giving up six to the Warriors. Cal State Stanislaus managed to get seven corners in the half while the ‘Cats only had two. The only goal of the game was scored in the 44th minute of the first half by Warriors’ sophomore defender Luis Hernandez. It was sophomore midfielder Rafael Chavez who played in a ball for Hernandez in the top lefthand corner of the box, which set him up to score. Hernandez lost the ball to a Chico State defender before he won it back and got his 17-yard shot, beating the goalkeeper at the near post.

Second Half: The second half picked up where the first half left off with both teams trying to find the back of the net. During the second half, Chico State managed to fire off six shots, while the Warriors only managed five. Despite losing, the Wildcats can be happy with their performance knowing they only gave up one goal to a team that averages three goals per game, thanks to the efforts of the back line. It was only the second time this season that a team was able to stop the potent offense of Cal State Stanislaus.

Key Players: Matt Hurlow- six shots
Dylan Wakefield- two shots, one shot on goal
Omar Nuno- two shots

The Wildcats’ next game will be on the road against Cal State Dominguez Hills on Friday, Oct. 9 at 7 p.m.

Carlos Islas can be reached at [email protected] or @cIslasReports on Twitter.