• Meet The Orions fall 2024 editorial board. Collage created by Ariana Powell on May 8 using Pixlr.

Meet The Orion’s fall 2024 editorial board!

• President Perez shaking the hand of Taylor Bisby as she receives her Masters degree. Taken by Jessica Miller on May 15

Chico State celebrates Graduate Studies Commencement

• Live from the World Contamination Tour. Photo taken by Penny Howle and courtesy My Chemical Romance.

An alt-girl’s origin story: emo beginnings

• Photo credit: Diego Ramirez

Congrats to The Orion graduates!

Women’s soccer team beats Cal State Stanislaus 2-1

Women's Recap.jpg
Katie Brown, junior midfielder, looks to advance the ball. Photo credit: John Domogma

In a thrilling game that required overtime to decide the winner, the Chico State women’s soccer team defeated Cal State Stanislaus 2-1 at home on Oct. 4.

The win improves the Wildcats’ season record to 7-2-1 and improves their conference record to 3-1-0.

First half: The game was tightly contested until Chico State opened up the scoring in the 23rd minute of the game, thanks to a goal by Lindsay Dias, junior midfielder. Dias scored after sophomore forward Pooja Patel dribbled down the right side of the box and placed a cross to the near post for Dias’ header.

It only took 18 minutes for Cal State Stanislaus to respond as they scored the goal that leveled the game back up, thanks to first-year forward Amanda Woodhouse. Woodhouse scored an open net goal after senior midfielder Jordan Moineau’s shot was parried away by Chico’s first-year goalie, Mackenzie Boulton. Moineau was able to get her shot after junior forward Maryssa McDuffy dribbled around a defender and placed in the pass to Moineau.

Second half: The second half was much like the first with both teams battling to gain control of the game. Despite the Warriors taking more shots than the ‘Cats, neither team could find the back of the net.

Overtime: At the end of regulation, the game remained tied at one and would require overtime to decide a winner. The first period of overtime ended with both teams in a stalemate trying to score.

It was during the second period of overtime that Chico State won the game, thanks to Dias’ second goal of the game. Once again, Dias was assisted by Patel who beat a defender to the outside and placed in a cross to the far post where Dias headed it in for the win.

Key players:

Lindsey Dias- Two goals
Pooja Patel- Two assists

The Wildcats’ next game will be on the road against Cal State Dominguez Hills on Friday, Oct. 9 at 4:30 p.m.

Carlos Islas can be reached at [email protected] or @cIslasReports on Twitter.