Robert Nooney to take over as women’s track and field coach

The Chico State women’s track and field team has hired Robert Nooney as its new head coach for the upcoming season.

Nooney, a Chico State alumnus and All-American in the decathlon in 2008, will take over the job from Oliver Hanf, who coached both the men and women’s teams last year. Hanf will now be in charge of just the men’s team.

After graduating from Chico State, Nooney headed to Central Missouri, where he became a grad-assistant for its track program while studying to get his masters.

Following his time at Central Missouri, Nooney took a job at the Colorado School of Mines, where he spent his first year as an assistant and took over the head coaching position last year.

He led the Oredigger’s to one of its best indoor and outdoor track seasons in school history, after just one year.

During his time as a Wildcat, he was a California Collegiate Athletic Association champion, but he said there is more to accomplish.

“I felt my time here was too short, I did not want to leave that soon,” Nooney said.

His return to the Wildcats is highly anticipated. Along with overseeing the women’s team, Nooney will also be helping out with coaching the horizontal jump events, long jump and triple jump.

Robert is one of the top young coaches in collegiate track and field and we’re very excited to have him back in Chico,” said athletic director Anita Baker in a press release.

“I am joining a staff that already has two legendary coaches in Oliver Hanf and Gary Towne, but I feel the things I learned while away from my program will help this team a lot,” Nooney said.

Nooney will be expected to jump right in and lead the Wildcats to their fifth consecutive CCAA championship.

“My job is to keep the excitement and energy high, as well as the connection with the athletes,” Nooney said.

Greg Silvia can be reached at [email protected].