Mountain bike club shreds it up

The Chico State mountain bike club takes on every terrain in hopes of reaching their goal to make it to nationals.

The mountain bike club is all-inclusive with 19 men and women. While both men and women reside on the team, there are separate categories for them during a given race. The team takes part in five events: Super D, downhill, short track, cross-country and dual slalom.

Ariana Altier Web.jpg
Ariana Altier, senior sustainable manufacturing major, makes the track look effortless— which shows in her impeccable record.

The team boasts a winning nationals member, Ariana Altier.

Altier finished first in the women’s national Division II downhill competition as well as the women’s Division II dual slalom. Altier is competing once again this year, hoping to defend her title.

Anthony 5 Web.jpg
Anthony Tran, sophmore sustainable manufacturing major, shows off his custom-made mountain bike. Photo credit: Allisun Coote

Anthony Tran, sophomore mountain bike club officer, is adamant the team has a good chance to make it to the nationals in Santa Cruz, which will be held on Nov. 14.

“You have to win three A-class races to go, and I think several people on this team can,” Tran said.

Although many see it as a competitive sport, Tran suggests that the sport is more about having fun than winning titles.

The team has eight events during its season beginning at the Reno Mountain Race. The team did well with Matthew Sleutjes and William Rolewicz finishing in the eighth and 10th positions in the Cat A downhill race. Spencer Downey finished second for the women in the Cat B downhill race.

The team’s most recent competition was in Humboldt on Oct. 11. At the race, Zach Petersen finished eighth while Rolewicz finished 10th in the Cat A downhill race. Petersen also finished third in the Cat A Super D race and Altier finished third in the women’s Cat A downhill race.

The team is firm in its practice schedule, consisting of Monday through Thursday rides.

“Even when our season’s over I ride almost every day. I have to keep training for the next race,” Tran said.

The next event the mountain biking team will take part in is the UCB MTB Race in Sonoma on Oct. 17. This will leave them with just five events to secure a place for nationals.

While the team moves closer to the end of the season, they can take some comfort in knowing their home race is coming up on Nov. 7. This event will be one week before the Western Collegiate Cycling Conference championships with the ‘Cats pushing to nationals.

Kenta McAfee can be reached at the [email protected] or @Kentamcafee on Twitter.