Julie Fowlis: The jewel of Gaelic music

Get ready to experience the sound of Scotland as Gaelic music comes to Chico.

Julie Fowlis is the jewel of Gaelic music and on Oct. 25 at 2 p.m., Chico State will proudly bring her magic to its grand stage in Laxson Auditorium.

For one magical night only, audiences both young and old can experience the beautiful music of Scotland’s finest.

For those in the dark, Fowlis has won multiple awards as a singer, including Gaelic Singer of the Year and Album of the Year at the Scots Trad Music Awards. Her musical career has spanned more than 10 years, bringing four studio albums to audiences worldwide with music inspired by her early upbringing in the Outer Hebridean Island of North Uist.

To add to her accomplishments, Fowlis became Scotland’s first Gaelic ambassador back in 2008 and is widely acclaimed in the Gaelic culture.

Children know her voice from the soundtrack of Disney Pixar’s “Brave,” an award-winning animated film which features two original songs by Fowlis.

It has been a busy summer for Fowlis, who attended some major festivals and venues, including the Grand Finale of Blas 2015 concert. Her US tour is kicking up with dates booked all the way through Oct. 29 in Searcy, Arkansas.

Her fourth album, “Gach Sgeul,” has been gathering glowing reviews and promoted the sought-after tour. With this album, Fowlis made history as the first Gaelic solo artist to win a Scottish Music Award in December 2014.

Spend Sunday afternoon being transported and transfixed with the music of Fowlis. It will be a day to remember. Even if Gaelic music isn’t your kind of music, it will be something new to experience and share with family and friends.

BUY TICKETS: $29 Premium | $24 Adult | $22 Senior | $14 Youth | $10 Chico State Student

Erin Vierra can be reached at [email protected] or @hippycinephile on Twitter.