Study break: Kendrick Lamar’s ‘These Walls’ review

Kendrick Lamars To Pimp a Butterfly, features the track, These Walls. Photo Credit: Top Dawg Entertainment.
Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterfly,” features the track, “These Walls.” Photo Credit: Top Dawg Entertainment.

Hip-Hop artist Kendrick Lamar recently released the fourth video from his latest album, “To Pimp A Butterfly.” The video, “These Walls,” features Bilal, Anna Wise and Thundercat. In his previous videos, Lamar delivered a clear message; however, because the content in “These Walls” is already difficult to understand, the video gets complicated.

The title, “These Walls,” actually represents a vagina. Lamar raps, ”Retaliation is strong, you even dream ’bout me/killed my homeboy and God spared your life/Dumb criminal got indicted same night/so when you play this song, rewind the first verse about me abusing my power so you can hurt.”

Lamar explains that his friend was murdered and the killer was arrested the very same night. Understandably, Lamar sought vengeance. He ultimately slept with the killer’s girlfriend while the killer was in jail.

Halfway through, the video depicts satire. You might be thinking about why Kendrick Lamar would include humor in a powerful song, but the saying goes, “There is no pleasure without pain.”

In the video, there is a scene where actor Terry Crews makes an appearance. Crews is given the order to stage a robbery along with the rapper, but we don’t see it happen. Instead, they end up participating in a talent show “hitting the quan,” a famous dance that emerged on Vine. The whole concept of this scene is to show how one is easily distracted by the mainstream in today’s modern society.

Lamar doesn’t rap until the end of the video, setting up the most powerful moment of the whole thing. He finally talks, rapping the last hook of his song, which confesses his desire for revenge for the death of his friend.

While it is difficult to find a message in the video, after a few replays, watching it consciously will help you start to understand. But we probably won’t ever be able to understand it completely.

As the video ends, it reads “To be continued.” The story is not over yet.

Valeria Flores can be reached at [email protected] or @theorion_news on Twitter.