• Safe Space offers a helping hand to those in need in the community. Image generated by Firefly AI by Heather Taylor on March 28.

Celebrating a decade of shelter, adaptability with Safe Space

Women’s basketball loses exhibition to University of Nevada, Reno 52-81

Basketball-Recap-Photo.jpg
The Chico State women's basketball team lost 52-81 in its final preseason exhibition game to the University of Nevada, Reno Wolf Pack. Photo credit: Nick Martinez-Esquibel

The Chico State women’s basketball team came up short against its Division I opponent, the University of Nevada, Reno, losing the exhibition match 52-81 on Nov. 7 in Reno.

The exhibition was the team’s last preseason action before the actual season gets under way.

First Quarter- The Wolf Pack came out firing on all cylinders and took a quick 7-0 lead over the Wildcats. The ‘Cats answered back when senior guard Brooke Bowen hit a 3-pointer to cut the lead to five. As the first quarter came to a close, Nevada held the lead at 17-10.

Second Quarter– Chico State would continue its momentum from early on and take a 26-24 lead with just under three minutes until the half. Nevada then created some momentum of its own and took a 31-29 lead into halftime.

Third Quarter– It was in the third quarter when the Wolf Pack would take control of the game, going on a 13-0 run to put the game out of reach. The ‘Cats headed into the fourth quarter down 39-63

Fourth Quarter– The Wildcats showed some fight in them, battling throughout the last period of the game. It was too little, too late, as Nevada settled in and did not give up much of its lead. The ‘Cats were again outscored in the period until the game ended with Nevada taking it, 81-52.

Top Scorers

UNR:

Junior guard, Sherise Porchia- 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists

Chico State:

Senior forward, Brooke Bowen- 8 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists

Sophomore guard- Lauren Johnson- 8 points (8 for 8 on free throws), 3 rebounds

Nick Martinez-Esquibel can be reached at [email protected] or @THENickMartinez on Twitter.