Baseball team wins fifth game in a row in extra innings

Junior pitcher Steven Baker throws a pitch against Menlo College on Jan. 31. Photo credit: Cam Lesslie

The Chico State baseball team stayed hot, winning its fifth game in a row against the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions Feb. 6, at home.

The win puts the Wildcats’ record at a very impressive 5-0 to start the season, but this game was not simply given to them.

Chico State scored the first run of the game in the first inning but the lead wouldn’t last long as Point Loma would score one run in the third, and another in the seventh to take a 2-1 advantage.

The Wildcats couldn’t get their offense to produce many runs and they trailed going into the bottom of the ninth. With their four game winning streak on the line, the Wildcats made their move. With junior outfielder Josh Falco on first base, backup catcher senior Cody Bistline made a sacrifice bunt that moved Falco to second base.

Junior centerfielder Cody Snider had an infield hit that moved Falco from second to third, and Falco scored the game tying run on a bunt single by junior outfielder Jerrett Maas’.

Cortez1WEB.jpg
Junior outfielder Sonny Cortez crosses home plate for a run against Menlo College on Jan. 31 Photo credit: Cam Lesslie

The Wildcats had a chance to win on an infield hit by junior outfielder Sonny Cortez, but was thrown out to end the ninth.

In the 10th with sophomore Cameron Santos on third, Bistline laid down a perfect bunt that scored the game winning run and kept the ‘Cats record perfect and improved to 5-0.

Top Performers

Sophomore infielder Cameron Santos- 3-4, 2 runs

Junior outfielder Josh Falco- 2-5, 1 run, 1 RBI

Junior pitcher Steven Barker- allowed 1 run, 5 strikeouts, 6 Innings pitched

Chico State will be back on the field to play Academy of the Art University Feb. 12 at home.

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.