The Orion

Chico State journalism student dies

Robert+McClanahan+was+earning+his+degree+in+public+relations+at+Chico+State+before+his+passing+Photo+credit%3A+Molly+Sullivan
Robert McClanahan was earning his degree in public relations at Chico State before his passing Photo credit: Molly Sullivan

George Johnston

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Robert McClanahan, a Chico State student, died of natural causes Feb 7. in San Francisco.

Born in Mombasa, Kenya, McClanahan moved with his family to California to further his education. He attended Chico State and was pursuing a degree in public relations and journalism.

“Robert was a gentle giant who was unfailingly friendly and made an impression on everyone he met. His good spirit and endless curiosity will be greatly missed.” said Chair of the Department of Journalism & Public Relations at Chico State Dr. Susan Wiesinger.

While attending Chico State, McClanahan also worked at The Orion as apart of the public relations team.

“He was my first friend in this department,” said Whitney Urmann, Content Manager of The Orion. “Robbie was a teddy bear. He was one of the most genuine and kind people I have ever met and we could talk sports and TV for hours. I’ll adore him forever.”

George Johnston can be reached at [email protected] or @gjohnston786 on Twitter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Chico State journalism student dies”

1. Zach on February 8th, 2016 8:55 pm

With upmost respect to McClanahan and his family, I’d change that “Chairwoman” to “Chair” before Dr. Wiesinger finds it 🙂

2. Ralph Herrera on February 9th, 2016 8:26 am

I MISS you Robert, sooooooo soooooo much man. Rest in Paradise fam. I’ll see you soon. -Ralph

3. Hector narciso on February 9th, 2016 11:16 am

I’m sorry for ur loss he had a brilliant future ahead of him

4. Sean on February 9th, 2016 11:43 am

This man was such an amazing soul, such a fantastic person and the world is worse without him. I will remember all the laughter and all the deep talks we had, I will never forget you Robert. You’ll be remembered forever.

5. Brian Anthony Kraemer on February 10th, 2016 3:38 pm

There is almost always something that can be learned from the manner in which a person makes his or her transition into the next realm. A 28 year old is unlikely to die of natural causes and if he or she does there is no shame in letting the rest of us know what natural causes those might be. Even unnatural causes are not a need for shame. You were obviously much loved, Robert, and I trust you have taken your loving heart with you into these next steps of your journey.

6. Daniel Nzau on February 11th, 2016 1:44 am

I pass my condolences to Nyawira & Tim, though its a long time as I last so Robert as a baby when he was born in Mombasa. We were then colleagues with the Mom at KMFRi. I share this period of grief with the parents and pray to God to provide make them strong in this painful sojourn. “Poleni sana”.

7. Daniel Nzau on February 11th, 2016 7:56 am

RIP

8. Daniel Nzau on February 11th, 2016 7:57 am

No gravatar pls.

9. Munira Bashir on February 14th, 2016 10:43 am

My condolences to the family. Very sad indeed. In our prayers

10. jane mbendo on March 17th, 2016 2:28 pm

My heart felt condolences nyawira and tim. Though far from you both i have always remembered you as my teachers colleagues and mentors. Praying for peace and comfort at such a great loss. I last saw your son as a baby in monbasa where we worked together. He is at rest.

11. Flo Njiriri on November 30th, 2016 10:25 pm

Dear Nyawira and Tim,
    Kindly accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your dear son Robert. I worked at IUCN many years ago and that is where we met. May God continue to give you strength and hope in meeting Robert again where there is no death or sorrow for if we are for Christ it doesn’t matter if we live or die.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left

Body found at Kendall Hall, police investigation ongoing

• Chico State journalism student dies

Breaking News

Environmental organization celebrates 43 years in community

• Chico State journalism student dies

Breaking News

New science building breaks ground

• Chico State journalism student dies