A.S. Spotlight: Kory Acosta

Sharon Martin

Kory Acosta

Kory Acosta

Making sure minorities are equally represented at Chico State is a top priority for Kory Acosta, the Associated Students Vice President of Facilities and Services.

Acosta, a junior double major in sociology and multicultural and gender studies, was born in San Diego, but grew up in Tijuana, Mexico before moving back to San Diego in high school.

During high school, the thought of applying to a university never crossed Acosta’s mind until one of his friends showed him how to search and apply for a university.

“Chico seemed like the most affordable and beautiful option for me,” he said.

Acosta said he never would have discovered his identity as a transgender man if it wasn’t for the university environment.

Acosta first gained an interest in student government as an intern at the Gender and Sexuality Equity Center. He felt like he wasn’t being represented within the student government.

“I came to the office to make an appointment to speak with someone and no one ever got back to me,” he said. “What’s the best way to change that? Run for office.”

Acosta was initially nervous about running, he said.

“I really didn’t feel the campus was ready to understand, but I didn’t want to wait for someone else to make the changes.”

As the vice president of facilities and services, Acosta is promoting big changes at Chico State.

“I think at least every building should have one gender inclusive bathroom,” he said. “We’re definitely trying to be a trendsetter by breaking these gender norms.”

Second floor renovations to the Wildcat Store and gender inclusive bathrooms in the Bell Memorial Union are two of Acosta’s accomplishments. Construction on the new bathrooms will begin after finals week of this semester.

For Acosta, the toughest part about his position is finding a way to represent the minority and the majority of students.

“I know these bathrooms aren’t really a huge concern for the majority of students, but if nobody is looking out for the gender expansive students, then who is?” Acosta said.

Working in the government affairs office has become a home for Acosta. His favorite part about being a student representative is the welcoming environment from his coworkers.

“It’s amazing that I found another somewhat feminist bubble outside of the GSEC,” Acosta said.

After graduation, Acosta plans on working with the transgender community in Chico or somewhere else.

“I have a lot of plans for my future in the nonprofit sector and trans-youth,” Acosta said.

To contact their student representatives, students can visit the government affairs office in Bell Memorial Union Room 203.

Sharon Martin can be reached at [email protected]