Softball team’s grand slam not enough as they lose game one of the double header

Senior Brynn Lesovsky swings at the ball during the game against Dominican University on Feb. 7. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Jason Spies

In a game where Chico State trailed by four runs to the Sonoma State Seawolves, they fought their way back to tie the game at 5-5, but still fell short losing 6-5 in the first game of a double header on Feb. 13.

The loss brought them down to just one game above 500 with a record of 4-3 and a conference record of 2-2.

Sonoma State started the game off hot scoring three runs in the second inning and two in the fourth, putting Chico State in an early 5-0 hole to climb out of.

The big story in this game was senior catcher, Brynn Lesovsky, who hit a grand slam in the fifth inning when the Wildcats needed it the most. Chico State scored five runs in the inning tying it at 5-5. Sonoma State answered back in the sixth scoring a run on a two-out single by Ali Strycula who had five RBIs in the game. That would be the final blow as the Wildcats couldn’t come up with a run in the sixth or seventh inning and lost 6-5.

DeHartWEB.jpg

First-year Rachel DeHart prepares to catch the ball at second base during the game against Dominican University on Feb. 7. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Top Players

Senior Brynn Lesovsky: 1-3, 4 RBIs, grand slam

Senior Desiree’ Gonzalez: 1-4, 1 run

Sophomore Haley Gilham: 3.2 innings pitched, 5 runs allowed, 4 strikeouts

Chico State will be back in action Friday, Feb. 19, when they host Cal State Monterey Bay.

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.