Men’s basketball team breaks its winning streak

Sophomore Isaiah Ellis slams down the ball in a game against Cal State East Bay on Feb. 5. Photo credit: Jacob Auby

The Chico State men’s basketball team’s eight-game winning streak was broken after a loss to the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos on Feb. 19, 61-67. Despite the ‘Cats leading by 17 points in the first half, they could not hang on.

Chico State now has a 20-4 overall record, a 14-3 conference record and are tied for first place in the CCAA with UC San Diego.

First half:

Cal Poly Pomona was able to get the first points of the half and get off to an early lead, but was followed close behind by the Wildcats. The ‘Cats were able to take a 29-17 lead after being spurred by a scoring barrage by junior Robert Duncan, who finished the first half with 18 points.

Chico State was able to stay ahead due to their successful rebounding, with 25 compared to Cal Poly Pomona’s 11. Chico State also took advantage of their 3-point opportunities, making 40 percent of their shots, while Cal Poly Pomona made only 12.5 percent.

Second half:

Chico State was able to kick off the second half and hold their lead until the final two minutes of play. Cal Poly Pomona went on a scoring rampage that the ‘Cats were unable to stop, and continued their performance until the end, winning 67-61.

The ‘Cats had 13 turnovers in the second half, while Cal Poly Pomona took better care of the ball with only six. Cal Poly Pomona made 22 of their points in the second half at the free throw line, while Chico State only had eight.

Top scorers:

Junior Rob Duncan – 23 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

Sophomore Jalen McFerran – 17 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals

Sophomore Isaiah Ellis – 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals

The ‘Cats are back in action on Feb. 20, at 7:30 p.m. against Humboldt State.

Kenta McAfee can be reached at [email protected] or @KentaMcAfee on Twitter.