Softball team loses second game against Monterey Bay

Courtney Varela running home helps push Cal State Monterey Bay to a one-run lead over Chico State in the fourth inning Photo credit: George Johnston

George Johnston

It was a game of pop flies and zero home runs, but the Chico State softball team fell 4-10 to the Cal State Monterey Bay Otters on Saturday, Feb. 20 at home.

The Wildcats began the game strong. In the first inning alone, the Wildcats scored a commanding three runs on Cal State Monterey Bay. Things looked good for the ‘Cats until the third inning.

With two outs and bases loaded, the Otters’ Bianca Noriega hit a line drive up second base letting the team stage its come back.

By the fourth inning, Cal State Monterey Bay had already taken a 4-5 lead over Chico State.

The Otters rallied again and scored four runs over Chico State for a 4-10 lead. The Wildcats held Cal State Monterey Bay scoreless for the rest of the game.

Chico State changed pitchers twice while the Otters only changed pitchers once.

George Johnston can be reached at [email protected] or @gjohnston786 on Twitter.