• Nate Farrington, new director of Adventure Outings, holding up some climbing rope that needs to be organized. Taken by Maki Chapman on February 8th, 2024

Nate Farrington takes the lead as Adventure Outings’ director

Gonzalez shines as softball team splits double header

Junior Cailin Garmon swings at the ball during the game against Dominican University on Feb. 7. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Chico State senior first base Desiree’ Gonzalez had a monster day going 4-5 with two RBIs, she reached base seven times and hit a home run as the Wildcats split the double header against Cal State Monterey Bay Feb. 21 at University Softball Field.

Gonzalez, Chico State’s all-time home run leader, put the Wildcats on her back with the score tied at 4-4. With two outs in the bottom of the third inning, she smashed one over the left field fence for her first homer of the year.

Game 1

In the first of Sunday’s double header, the Wildcats trailed the entire game and struggled to score when they had runners on base. The first two innings went scoreless and then the Otters singled in a run and scored a few moments later on a wild pitch.

The score ballooned to 6-0 in the fifth inning before Chico State scored a run off the bat of first-year player Ari Marsh. Cal State Monterey Bay scored three more runs in the sixth inning to put the Wildcats out of reach, handing senior pitcher Brooke Langeloh her first loss of the year with a final score of 9-3.

Key Players

First-year outfielder Ari Marsh: two hits, one run and one RBI

Senior First Base Desiree’ Gonzalez: two hits and one RBI

Senior Pitcher Brooke Langeloh: 5.1 innings pitched, eight hits allowed and eight earned runs

SoftballRecap2WEB.jpg
Sophomore Karlie Skowrup swings at the ball during the game against Dominican University on Feb. 7. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

Game 2

Game 2 of Sunday’s double header was very close the entire time. The Otters would strike first, scoring a run in the first, but the lead wouldn’t last long. Chico State scored two runs off a double by Marsh that brought home DeHart and Contreras. The back and forth battle waged on as the Otters managed to score three runs in the third inning to pull ahead 4-2, but Chico State had an answer.

The Wildcats would knot up the score at four a piece with RBI singles from Marsh and sophomore Karli Skowrup.

Gonzalez put Chico State up for good with her solo blast over the left field fence that made the score 5-4.

Starting pitcher for the Wildcats, Haley Gilham, did the rest by pitching four consecutive scoreless innings earning her the win.

Key Players

First-year outfielder Ari Marsh: two hits and three RBIs

Senior first base Desiree’ Gonzalez: two hits, one RBI and one home run.

Sophomore pitcher Haley Gilham: seven innings pitched, six hits allowed and four earned runs

The Wildcats will be back on the mound Friday, Feb. 26, when they take on UC San Diego.

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.