Men’s basketball rebounds from Friday’s loss

Sophomore Jalen McFerren takes a shot against Cal State Stanislaus while junior Robert Duncan looks for the rebound. Photo credit: Jordan Olesen

The Chico State men’s basketball team bounced back from a disappointing loss the night before to beat the Humboldt State Lumberjacks 82-74 on Saturday, Feb. 20.

The win puts the Wildcats at 21-4 on the season and 15-3 in conference play. The team is still in first place in the CCAA standings, with UC San Diego trailing close behind.

The game started off with both teams hitting 3-pointers. The Wildcats would go up by a few points just for the Lumberjacks to recover soon after. With 10 minutes left to play in the half, the score was 16-15 and it seemed as if the Wildcats were in for another fight.

However the team then went on a 9-2 run, highlighted by five straight points from sophomore guard Corey Silverstrom, and the ‘Cats were in control for the rest of the game. At the halfway mark it was 37-29, and after a strong second half in which sophomore forward Isaiah Ellis and junior guard Robert Duncan scored 11 points apiece, the game ended in Chico State’s favor.

Recap2WEB.jpg

Sopomore Isaiah Ellis takes a shot at the top of the key in a game against Cal State Stanislaus. Photo credit: Jordan Olesen

Top performers

Sophomore Isaiah Ellis: 19 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks

Sophomore Corey Silverstrom: 16 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds

The ‘Cats look to clinch their second CCAA title in a row with games on Thursday, Feb. 25 in Chico against Cal State Dominguez Hills, and on the road against Cal State L.A. on Feb. 27.

Patrick Pace can be reached at [email protected] or @PatPaceSports on Twitter.