Gonzalez makes RBI history in doubleheader split

Senior Desiree Gonzalez prepares to run to third base during the game against Monterey Bay on Feb. 20.

Lindsay Pincus

Lindsay Pincus

Lindsay Pincus

Danielle Pubill

On Saturday, Feb. 27, the Wildcats went on the road to face the UC San Diego Tritons in a doubleheader. Although they only won one of the two games, both were close. While the first game resulted in a 3-0 win, the second game was a loss for the ‘Cats with a score of 1-2.

In the first game, Chico State scored in the first inning. With senior Alli Cook on third and first-year Rachel DeHart on first base, senior Desiree’ Gonzalez knocked a double into right field, bringing in Cook to score.

This gave the Wildcats a lead of 1-0. The game remained scoreless until the fifth inning.

With Cook on second base and DeHart on first, Gonzalez hit a single up the middle, bringing in another RBI and making the score 2-0.

After junior Cyrena Taylor hit a single to left field, senior Brynn Levsosky was walked, loading the bases. First-year Megan Bowley hit a single into left field, bringing junior Cailin Garmon in for an RBI. The final score was 3-0.

Gonzalez’s hits in this game made her the player with the most career RBIs at an impressive 128. The game resulted with 12 hits and three runs by the Wildcats. The Tritons had four hits and had no runs in this game.

Taylor.jpg

Junior Cyrena Taylor eyes the ball during the game against Cal State Monterey Bay on Feb. 20. Photo credit: Lindsay Pincus

In the second game, UC San Diego took the lead in the first inning after scoring a run on a double.

The Wildcats battled back in the top of the second. With Levowsky on first, first-year Claire Wayne hit a single, putting two runners on first and second base.

Sophomore Karli Skowrup was walked and loaded the bases. Junior Sarah Galaviz was walked bringing the score to a tie of 1-1.

The game remained scoreless until the bottom of the sixth inning. UC San Diego would take the lead on a triple.

This brought in the winning run for the Tritons making the score 1-2. The Wildcats got seven hits but scored one run while UC San Diego made five hits and two runs.

Danielle Pubill can be reached at [email protected] or @daniellepubill1 on Twitter.