Gearhart wins second golf tournament in a row

Chico State senior and All-American Justin Wiles looks to improve his score on the day. Photo credit: T.L. Brown

Senior Lee Gearhart came from three shots back to win medalist honors for the second tournament in a row, as Chico State finished second on March 1 at the NCAA Division II South/Southeast Super Regional Preview in Florida.

Gearhart was down three shots behind teammate Alistair Docherty and Manuel Tores from Lynn University, when he birdied two of his last five holes to take the lead. Gearhart, who was ranked 28th in the nation, beat out six of Golfstats’ top 10 Division II players in this star-studded field in Florida.

Docherty was in a two-way tie for first for most of the day, but it came down to the 18th hole to decide the winner. Docherty tried to take a chance at a birdie which would have given him the win but he missed and ended up three putting. This made it so all Gearhart had to do was par the hole to beat his teammate.

Docherty had the best round score out of the 93-man field shooting a -1 under par, and was the only player to shoot a par or better in all three rounds. He finished in a two-way tie for second at -1.

After a sub-par Monday showing, sophomore Colby Dean was one of just three players to shoot for par or better on Tuesday and it boosted him 25 spots as he finished in a tie for 13th at 10-over par.

Top Players

Lee Gearhart: Finished in first place, shot -2 under par, scored a 214.

Alistair Docherty: Finished in second place, shot -1 under par, scored a 215.

Colby Dean: Finished in 13th place, shot 10-over par, scored a 226.

Chico State will be swinging back into action Monday, March 14, as they travel to Livermore, California, to play in the NDNU Argonaut Invitational.

Jason Spies can be reached at [email protected] or @Jason_Spies on Twitter.