Senior joins Student Academic Senate

Senior English major Malissa Pierce, the senator for the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, is hoping to spread the word about her senate seat. Photo credit: Amelia Storm

If you mention the Student Academic Senate to any regular Chico State student, you might get the same confused look an English major would have in a nursing class.

Malissa Pierce is hoping to change that. The Chico State senior is the new student academic senator for the College of Humanities and Fine Arts and she has some big goals.

“The College of Humanities and Fine Arts is highly underrepresented,” Pierce said. “My job is to get the word out to the students that they have representation so that they know they can come to me with anything.”

The job of a student academic senator is to serve as a liaison in each college to assist with student concerns and ideas. Some things the senate might assist with are handling concerns regarding student policy, budgeting and suggestions for changes in courses.

Some think the student senate still doesn’t have the name recognition they think it deserves.

“The program is only 2-3 years old,” Pierce said. “Many people don’t even realize that this resource is available to them. I want to get the word out to my fellow classmates.”

Pierce joined the team after a seat in the senate opened for the College of Humanities and Fine Arts late last semester.

“A family friend offered the position to me since I had been working as a representative since last year,” Pierce said. She accepted and took over the position in late January.

Although she represents the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, Pierce believes that the representation is beneficial in every college on campus.

“I would strongly urge any student to get in touch with their student senator,” Pierce said. “Your best interest is also our best interest.”

Pierce, who grew up in Redding, plans to attend Portland State University in the fall to pursue her master’s of science in educational leadership and policy, a degree which would allow her to pursue a job in student services in higher education.

“This position is helping me to gain experience for the future,” Pierce said, who will graduate this year with a bachelor’s degree in English.

In response to the question of whether she would accept a job offer in the future from Chico State, she chuckled and replied, “If the opportunity ever arises. I’m up for any job experience I can get.”

Pierce’s office hours in the Bell Memorial Union Room 220 are as follows:

Monday: 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Tuesday: 9:30-10:30 a.m.

Wednesday: 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Thursday: 9-10:30 a.m.

She can also be reached via email at [email protected].

Amelia Storm can be reached at [email protected] or @amelia__storm on Twitter.